SLAVE is now a full time reviewer for Guys Like Romance, Too!

Please note that SLAVE's Erotic Review is on hiatus to catch up on reviews. He will reopen for reviews after the holidays in January 2015.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Embracing Artistic Challenges, by Adele Dubois

When the opportunity to submit a steamy short story to the GIRLS WHO BITE anthology came around, I wondered if I could handle the demands of a vampire tale. Vampires can be dangerous, scary creatures, and I didn’t know if I could reach that dark place in my imagination. Add lesbian heroines to the story mix and my footing turned less sure. Though I’d included bi-sexual characters in my books for years, I knew less about the lesbian lifestyle than I did vampire lore.

Yet the challenge intrigued me. Like an author enthralled by a vampire queen, I answered the call. Why? I wanted to be part of something groundbreaking with other authors I admired. Girl on girl love is the last frontier of the mainstream erotic romance sub-genre. Man love stories, often written and edited by straight women, have long been a staple of the erotic romance market. Conversely, their counterparts have been noticeably absent. I wondered if our GIRLS WHO BITE storytelling could cross boundaries of sexual preference the way our collaborative mix of authors had.

I’m pleased that I was able to stay true to my voice with “The Crystal Altar.” The story has been singled out as one of the best in the anthology, which has received consistent five star reviews and accolades like “literary erotica”. GIRLS WHO BITE won the prestigious Cata Romance Reviewer’s Choice Book of The Year Award. I couldn’t be more thrilled for editor Delilah Devlin and our group of authors.





Writing paranormal girl on girl love stories has been so much fun that I contributed my short story “She’s Furry Yiffy” to the GIRLS WHO BITE sequel, SHE-SHIFTERS, coming this summer from Cleis Press and editor Delilah Devlin in both print and electronic formats.

Here’s a taste of my lesbian vampire erotica story “The Crystal Altar” sold separately for only .99 on Amazon, Nook, Smashwords, and All Romance eBooks.



An ancient crystalline cavern becomes the setting for a most unusual birthday party…

Excerpt:
“Only your cousin would celebrate her birthday in a creepy place like this cave.” Rosa scrunched up her nose.

Morgan tried not to smile, since Rosa was being serious. If she only knew how cute she looked when she made that face, she might never do it again.

Rosa hated the dark and anything remotely otherworldly. She refused to watch fantasy or horror movies and detested Halloween. Rosa liked musicals, TV cooking shows, and Christmas. She’d come to Angela’s birthday party strictly under protest. Morgan had mollified her with a picnic she had prepared. Rosa worked as the chef at the restaurant Morgan managed and rarely got a break from food preparation.

It seemed the novelty had worn off.

“The caves are historic.” Morgan tried reasoning. “Natural wonders. People travel from all over the world to visit and they’re right in our backyard. We’ll see formations like calcite crystal walls, flowstones, and dripstones millennia old.”

Rosa stopped folding the blanket and set her mouth in a grim line. Her nostrils flared. “I’d rather wait in the car. You go. She’s your cousin. And a freak, if you ask me.”

Morgan couldn’t argue there. Her cousin Angela had turned a whole new kind of weird since her trip to Europe. She’d left eastern Pennsylvania a skinny geek in glasses that nobody wanted to hang with. She’d returned a curvy Goth with facial piercings, night vision, and an entourage of beautiful women who’d moved into the Lancaster home she shared with her father.

Angela had explained that laser eye surgery in Eastern Europe was light years ahead of procedures in the United States. Her new look was the work of some chick she’d met on the road named Lillith. The transformation, she claimed, had made her popular. Angela seemed perfectly happy.

Which was more than Morgan could say at the moment.

“I know she’s odd, but she’s family and it’s her birthday. What else could I do?” Morgan took the blanket from Rosa’s hands and laid it on the grass beneath the cover of an old weeping willow. Rosa followed inside the natural umbrella of leaves and slender branches.

“Let’s not argue, okay?” Morgan pleaded. “We have at least an hour before the others arrive. We haven’t been alone all day.” She hoped her voice sounded husky and sexy and not as desperate as she felt.

Secretly, she worried they were headed for bed death. Rosa had become more distant and less interested in sex than she had during their first six months together. Morgan had plenty of platonic friendships and the last thing she wanted was for Rosa to drift into that category. She loved her and wanted her as much now as she had in the beginning.

Morgan lay down on her back and reached up from the blanket for Rosa. “Come here.”

*****


                                                 Coming Soon! “She’s Furry Yiffy” to SHE-SHIFTERS.


Buy: “The Crystal Altar” on Amazon Kindle, Nook, Smashwords and All Romance eBooks for .99!
Buy: GIRLS WHO BITE on Amazon!

Preorder SHE-SHIFTERS on Amazon!

Visit Adele Dubois at her website and read more about her erotic romance novels.

SLAVE's review
While jogging in the mountains, the main character, Anika, is barely scratched by a Puma. When she is asleep, Anika sees herself as a Puma and wakes with bloody clothing. The attack left her with ‘un-natural’ desires making it, in her opinion, doubly hard for her to find a mate to accept her for who and what she is. When Anika catches the scent of the one she thinks is her perfect lover, her amazing senses took over and the pursuit was on.
She’s Furry Yiffy is an installment in the shifter anthology, SHE-SHIFTERS. The reader is led to believe that Anika is a Puma shifter, but we don’t actual see any shifting. Her lover claims to be a shifter as well, but she doesn’t shift either. In Anika’s dreams she does see herself as a sleek golden Puma. I asked to read this book because I was interested in seeing how lesbian shifters made love, especially since Anika said, “I must warn you, I get aggressive during love making.” but since this book didn’t have any shifting and the love making was far from aggressive in my opinion, I still don’t know.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you did a good job taking up the challenge, Adele. I always thought it was unfair that man/man books were acceptable and lesbian books weren't. Good for you for taking it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Crystal Altar. It's the first and only f/f love story I've read. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy--I agree with you. Slowly, change is taking place.

    I appreciate you stopping by!

    Best--Adele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cara--It's great to know that you enjoyed "The Crystal Altar." Thanks so much. I hope you like "She's Furry Yiffy" too.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Best--Adele

    ReplyDelete